"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and once it has done so, he/she will have to accept that his life will be radically changed." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Change is inevitable and change is good.

After the loss of Fred, I made some major changes in my life.  Ok, primarily my equine life but the rest of it too.

My very good friend Aileen made me an offer I couldn't refuse when I returned from Aiken.  Until I find a horse to buy, she is free leasing her appendix gelding Archie to me.  Archie and Aileen had several successful runs at Training last year.  Aileen recently purchased a beautiful mare allowing me to sneak Archie away for a few months.  I'm still horse shopping but very carefully and slowly.  


Archie and I are entered in my first recognized event on May 5, MCTA Shawan Downs.  I'm nervous and excited!

Along with the new ride, I'm at a new barn.  Archie moved in next to LClark and Pony at a wonderful facility in Manheim.  I miss HVS but am anxious to open new chapters. 

Outside of the horse life, Amanda and I completed our very first 5k today!  We had both started working out around the same time.  I nudged Amanda into a bit and she proved to be strong and resilient! I was really nervous if I could make my goal.  I felt like three 12 minute miles was reasonable and so wanted to finish around 36 minutes.  Turns out the race adrenaline helped and I ran it in 34:13!! I didn't walk and felt pretty good when I was done.  

My mom, my sister, and our BFF Jackie were there to cheer us on at the finish.  Ok, that was kind of freakin' cool.

 Me and Amanda pre-race
 Finish line!!
 Never thought I'd have a 5K tshirt that I earned.
 Me and Sitta "tailgating" before 8am with the Nav (work car!)

No comments:

Post a Comment