"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and once it has done so, he/she will have to accept that his life will be radically changed." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Much better than I expected!

Tyler has been back to work for two weeks now.  I have had some help getting him back into a routine from Vanessa.  Let's face it, working out with a small kid on his back instead of me is a good deal.  On Monday Vanessa put Tyler through all three paces.  Tyler didn't put a foot wrong. 

I know Tyler is a little bored with circles in the ring and staying on the farm, so I have him scheduled to ride at the Fair Hill cross country schooling on Saturday.  Since this is the case, I thought I better pop him over a few little fences last night.  There were very small fences, all 2' or smaller, set in the ring.  At first Tyler just thought my steering was crazy, but he perked up as he realized I had him pointed at the cross rail.  Boink!  He jumped it fine!  We jumped the lines, the coop, and the mermaid gate.  I barely got him around in his loose ring snaffle.  Tyler was so happy to be jumping that he was moving around.  His form and timing was great.  The simple lead changes were at the right time and Tyler felt very strong as he went around.  If this weather moves out, I will jump him again tomorrow.  I fully expect that with a little bute on Saturday morning, we will be able to jump all the beginner novice fences at FH. Tyler jigged and jogged all the way back to the barn after his jump school.  Did I mention we rode out in the horrible wind and a little bit of rain?  After a silly spook at the beginning, he was all business.


Fred and I entered a new stage on Tuesday during our jump lesson.  I'm finally to the point where I will correct Fred if he ducks out at a fence.  Both Fred and his buddy Napoleon took their good 'ole time getting into jumping form.  By our last round both boys were good.  


So now I need to figure out how to juggle two working horses.  Turns out working makes riding a little difficult.  Mondays and Wednesdays I ride Tyler and Tuesday and Thursdays Fred and I are in lessons with Cindy.  Then Friday, Saturday, and Sundays are big work days for both of them.  


I expect there will be time spent this week figuring out when Tyler will make his 2011 competition debut.  :D

Sporting Days 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment