"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and once it has done so, he/she will have to accept that his life will be radically changed." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Away we go.

The boys have been on fairly good behavior over the last week.  I traveled to Long Island, NY for a few days last week and suffered major withdrawal from them.  I left Tuesday night after a nice lesson on Fred.  I drove directly to the barn from NY for a dressage lesson with Fred and Sarah.  

Friday the 13th was also my Mom's birthday.  Jenna organized a dinner at Penn National for us and our bff/adopted sister, Jackie.  It was fun! Jenna did a great job getting things together at the last minute as we didn't know things would fall into place.

 Me, Jackie, and Jenna
Dad and I trying to pick a winner.

Long Island wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  I wanted to explore more but didn't have time to.  I did make it to two tack shops Thursday night.  Prices were a little steep but it was fun to visit and chat with the shop owners.  

One reason I stopped at the tack shops is that Fred is entered at the Twin Brooks dressage show on Sunday, May 22.  It will be our first competitive outing.  We'll be attempting the Training 1 and Training 2 tests. I did not have a white dressage saddle pad as Tyler goes in black and my tall boots had seen more events than they should have. I didn't purchase either item in NY.

LGress and I headed to Bit of Britain and Dover Saturday afternoon.  Lauren picked up brushing boots she won last year and bought herself a CO skull cap!  She rocks it.  I bought a white dressage pad for $15 and Fred's XC saddle pad.  His colors are now navy and sea blue.  Then we went to Dover where I bought the store.  Tall boots, XC boots, reins, lead rope, fly spray, liniment... and so on.   

 This is the consolidated pile.  Yikes.

Since Fred is competing soon, I thought he and Tyler should take a field trip.  The weather forecast was to be a washout, but we had a great ride at Stonewood Farms before a small storm rolled in.  Melissa was a last minute addition to the fun and I was happy to have her along.  She rode Tyler and I took Fred around.  Fred was just fine. 


Melissa's first ride on Tyler was a huge success!


Had a fun lesson with Cindy, Lauren, Jean, and Julie last night.  Well, there was a little issue with one fence last night.  Fred hung a leg and somehow we stayed balanced and upright. Thank you Tyler for teaching me that trick!  Of course the next time we jumped the fence Fred was not going to touch it!  We had a few extra feet to spare.  


I teach a few lessons tonight and the boys have a well deserved day off.  Tomorrow Fred heads to Sarah's with Paige and Bootz for a list minute tune up before Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment