"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and once it has done so, he/she will have to accept that his life will be radically changed." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day.

I have a few minutes left before Father's Day is officially over.  I'm a bad daughter, I did not see my dad today and yesterday I made him buy his own vanilla milkshake.  I do plan on making it up to him for his birthday on Tuesday.

Yesterday Mom and I went down to the river.  Dad had been there all morning with Big Red and lots of equipment.  There was some type of dock repair happening.  I told my mom that I blame Dad for my boyfriend troubles.  Yes, my dad would probably threaten whoever I bring home.  Ask my sister, Dad enjoys messing with the boyfriends.  The bigger problem is whoever I date has to live up to my dad.  Ha, good luck boys.






My dad and I are very similar.  He works hard and does the work himself.  I don't know a mechanic, an electrician, a landscaper, or any construction workers.  My dad does all the work himself.  Dad taught me how to do a lot and has built my independence.  

Not only has Dad taught me to work and earn what I want, he taught me to make good decisions.  He always taught me to examine all my options and do the appropriate research.  Save bringing home Tyler and Fred on a whim, I follow my dad's directions.


Dad is my go to person.  When I'm in trouble I call him.  The calls range from trucks that won't start to demanding he leave the Weis deli counter immediately (NOW!) because I couldn't deal with Tyler's emergency.




I'm pretty sure Dad fueled the horse obsession when I was a kid.  We used to go trail riding every Sunday when I was growing up.  Those 3 or 4 hours on the trails and in the woods were the best part of my week.  He really feeds the fire now.  Dad helped me find a truck and trailer.  Then he helped me upgrade the truck and trailer.  He drove 16+ hours twice to help Tyler and I travel to and from Wisconsin.  Dad always helps me maintain and improve whatever equipment I need to spoil the horses.  One winter, after plowing his driveway and several other driveways clear, he and I drove to the barn to start a generator so the horses could have fresh water.


Dad doesn't help only with the horses.  He took me to my first MLB game and my first PSU football game.  Dad taught me how to fly fish, how to shoot a gun and rifle, and how to avoid skippers when mowing the yard.  Wonder where I get my tomboy ways from?  Dad understands me! 





So if my ramblings during the last minutes of Father's Day seem to brag of my father, my mission is accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment