"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and once it has done so, he/she will have to accept that his life will be radically changed." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Do you have any children?

I forgot to share this story from Memorial Day.  It's just too funny.

Monday morning I go out to start the Diesel.  I was going to haul Fred and Romie to Carousel Horse Park in Delaware so a bunch of us could XC school.  Well, turns out the starter failed in the Diesel.  I said a lot of bad words early that holiday morning.  Sadly, Fred didn't get to go.  The Wolfe family saved the day and took Graham on their trailer with Bootz.  I decided I should tag along anyway, even if I wasn't in a great mood. 

It was hot.  95 degrees and we were all sweating like crazy.  Cindy, Chris, Fred (human, not horse), and I all hiked the course twice.  We had paparazzi duties! Some of the riders who shared horses had to hike it once.

On our way up the first hill to start the day, one of the kids starts grumbling about how hot it is and how much we will have to walk.  Grace is a nice kid, but I was not in the mood.  We were all hot and not thrilled about hiking around.  I told Grace I didn't want to hear her complain the entire time as we were all in the same boat.  Plus, Grace only had to walk around once.  She looked at me and asked, "Chelsea, do you have any kids?"  I just laughed, "No.  Isn't it obvious why I don't have kids?"  Grace replied, "It is!  You do not like people who complain!" That Grace is very perceptive.  And you know what, I didn't hear another peep from Grace about walking.  :)

 Chris and I follow Lauren and Melissa out to XC.
 The first group takes a break under the shade.
Grace rocked her first time out on a XC course!

No comments:

Post a Comment