"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and once it has done so, he/she will have to accept that his life will be radically changed." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

MKE and Lauren saves the day.

Let's start with my trip to Milwaukee.  I flew from Detroit to MKE after a week in Ann Arbor.  I was already half way to MKE, might as well just go.  I hadn't seen anyone there since the middle of February when I left for Aiken.  I spent Friday night with Donna, Tianna, and Danielle.  Tianna was extra nice and let me crash at her place Friday night.  It was good to hear everyone is doing well.

 Tianna, Me, Danielle, and Donna

Saturday I spent a few hours at Pigeon Creek Farm.  I saw almost all the regulars.  I spent most of my time with Anne.  I wish I could bring her to PA on a regular basis.  She's an amazing teacher of riding skills and life skills.  Parker and I said hello.  He is even cuter than I remember! 

After my PCF visit, I went next door to a farm where I met my friend Diane.  We watched an afternoon of dressage lessons in a clinic with Tom Noone.  It's a beautiful facility and talented pairs of horses and riders, but I reached my DQ limit quickly.

Diane was so nice to host me for the evening.  She and her husband made a tasty dinner and we sat around talking for a long time over glasses of wine.  It was very soothing to talk to her.  

Sadly, my weekend in Milwaukee ended very quickly Sunday morning as I had a noon flight home.

I landed in Cincinnati around 2pm and Lauren left me a text to call her.  She reported in that instead of cantering under saddle for the first time in almost a month, Fred had a fever of 104 and respiratory problems.  Lauren, who is my hero, stayed with that horse all afternoon until I finally arrived around 7pm.  She helped the vet tube him with liquid and electrolytes and monitored him all day.   All of this after riding him for a week while I was gone.

Monday I spent the day working from the barn while Fred had his sick day.  He held a normal temp and was mostly his silly self.  Unlike Tyler, Fred likes the constant attention.  Fred is back to his regular rations and turn out.  I'm hoping for a half hour lesson of walk/trot work with Sarah on Friday.  It's been 10 days since I've ridden.  :(

Tyler is very happy and healthy.  I stopped by to give him some carrots between Fred related errands.  Tyler is filthy and I need to schedule some bath time for him.  It's apparent that I'm the only who is bothered by his yellow coloring.  TRose will not be thrilled by the cleaning process.  Too bad for him!

On the work front, this is my last week on the website project I've had since late April.  No love lost there.  I'm not sure what's next but I'm hoping I get back to Maximo work.

I think that's all I've got.  I took some Michigan photos last week of the stadium and a bus, but my Penn State blood prevents me from posting anything.  Ewwww.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment