"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and once it has done so, he/she will have to accept that his life will be radically changed." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, August 21, 2010

It only took 26 years for me to break something.

Really long story short, I was dismounting off Tyler the Friday of Silverwood when my right foot stretched over a rock.  By Monday, my foot looked horrible and didn't feel so great.  Rob went to the doc with me and the initial look at 3 x-rays didn't show anything.  However, the return phone call I got an hour later said otherwise.  Rob drove me  back to the doctor to get a splint and crutches.  Needless to say I was pissed.  Rob's a saint (he doesn't read this blog so I can say that.)  I yelled the entire drive home about all the stuff I couldn't do because of a 1mm break below my big toe that I can't see on the x-ray. 

I don't do well with crutches and  I'm not very coordinated to begin with.  Thank goodness by Tuesday afternoon I was off crutches and in a walking boot after seeing the podiatrist.  Rob was pretty happy about not having to carry my purse around anymore.  I could do almost everything but drive.  The boot doesn't fit between the brake and center consul.  With lots of ibuprofen, ice, and the boot over two weeks the foot is almost back to normal.  I go to the doctor's on Tuesday for one last check, but I'm expecting a good report.

I didn't ride for the first week of the boot and only twice the second week.  That was horrendous!  Kira rode Tyler almost daily on the flat.  She worked him and he felt amazing when I rode on Thursday.  Charles rode Tyler last Friday over fences.  I missed it due to work, but I heard it was a battle.  Tyler refused to participate, but Charles finally got through to him.  Yesterday, a week later, Charles warmed Tyler up and showed me what our rides should and could be like.  What a difference!  Tyler remembered everything Charles taught him last week and we had a great ride.  I hadn't jumped in 2 weeks and it was easy and fun!  Jumping Tyler is never easy, but always fun.  I really appreciated it.  

The boot.  It's better than crutches, but miserable in humidity.

No comments:

Post a Comment