"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and once it has done so, he/she will have to accept that his life will be radically changed." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

There's no place like home.

I took a long weekend trip home for my birthday.  I left work Thursday morning at 10:30 and was in Pennsylvania by 4.  I visited quickly with my parents and headed to Harvest View for a lesson on Perfectly Patrick.  And perfect he was!  It's tough for me to hop on another horse and jump around.  It took me months to really feel comfortable navigating Parker.  Patrick was his saintly self and packed me around anyway.  The last time I rode Patrick was last March, so it was a perfect birthday present from Cindy!  

 Patrick and I - March 2009

It was wonderful to see the HVS crew.  I had miss them terribly.  Besides the office, I spend a majority of my time at HVS.  Amazingly, I even remembered to take the cheese curds home for Gale. 

The real reason I went home was to get my hair done Friday morning.  Ha, I'm kidding, sorta.  After my appointment, I headed out to HVS again to see Cindy and Delight work with Sarah.  Delight has really improved in 6 weeks and he looked fabulous before.  It was nice to catch up with Sarah and Cindy.
Dad needed help moving furniture and I was expecting my college BFF, Jackie, so I didn't stay long at HVS.  Jenna and I hadn't seen Jackie in at least a year.  We had a lot of fun!  We talked the entire time to catch up.  The three of us went to dinner at Rockwell's (yes, we shared RhinoFries) and then went to the casino.  It was a gorgeous night for horse racing and we watched a few races.  We didn't win any money, no thanks to Sylvia's Sweetart.  LClark, her boyfriend, and friend Lauren joined us later on for some penny or even 2 cent slots!  It was a good evening.
 Jenna, Jackie, and Me at the track

Me and LClark

My mom's name is Sylvia and she loves sweet tarts.  We lost money on that horse.

Saturday was boat day!  I worked around the yard/house on Saturday morning before Mom and Dad picked me up.  We ended up floating in the river until we were prune-y.  The weather took a break for my weekend home and it wasn't 100 degrees with extreme humidity.  

Sunday morning was my sleep catch up time.  Jenna and I went to my grandparents' house to see them, Aunt Gina, Aunt Lisa, and Cousin Gillian.  I haven't seen any of them since Mother's Day!  We talked about the family vacation in September.  It'll be the week of Labor Day in Sea Isle City, NJ and right on the ocean!  I'm working from home that week and may work from NJ for a day or two if the weather cooperates.

Jenna and I left for my dinner with Mom and Dad.  We feasted on steaks and ice cream cake.  My traditional birthday dinner.  Oddly enough, Dad bought me sidewalk chalk as a gift.  I brought it to work and we plan to terrorize the poolside and office parking lot.  

Monday traveling reminded me why I don't like weekly travel.  Tyler received a good report from my weekend away.  He got extra treats for being well behaved.  

1 comment:

  1. Wish my horse would have done better. Too bad they didn't scrunch the name altogether....sylviassweetarts.
    What is it? Sylvi's ass wee arts?