"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and once it has done so, he/she will have to accept that his life will be radically changed." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Milwaukee 2010

If you haven't heard by now, this is your notice.  On June 19, Tyler and I leave for Milwaukee, WI.  We are going to live there for 10 weeks.  How about a little background as to why this trip came to be?
 
In a month, I celebrate my fourth year with IBM.  I'm a supply chain consultant who travels to client sites all over the country week.  Last May I started a project with Veteran's Affairs. It was supposed to be a year long project.  The new estimated completion date is set for 2011.  We are required to spend Monday through Friday on site.  Let me tell you, that doesn't leave much time for TRose!

TRose?  You do know TRose, right?  Tyler is my 16 year old, gray, Thoroughbred gelding.  I have owned him for the last three years and since then we've become eventers and had many adventures together.    
(Eventers = 3 Day Eventers.  It's a horse trial including three phases: dressage, cross country, and show jumping.)

Here's the summary plan of our big trip.  Tyler and I are leaving our Harvest View Stables family for two months and will be joining the Pigeon Creek Farm crew in Mequon, WI.  I found PCF last summer and have been riding there once a week with Anne Jennings.  Anne has already found three opportunities for Tyler and I to compete in the mid-west.


My dad, who is kick ass and my mechanic,  volunteered to make the drive with us from home to Mequon. It may take us 15 to 16 hours.  We are going to drive straight through.  HVS departure time is 4am Saturday! I have been staying at the Milwaukee City Center Double Tree for several months now and it will be my summer home.  Dad will spend the night and then he has a flight home Sunday.  

This is my new truck and trailer.  We're going in comfort and style!


I suppose I should add that this isn't all about Tyler.  I will be able to get extra hours in at work and gain lots of experience.  I expect the effort to pay off. (Cha-ching!)


My summer plans will end August 28 and 29.  There's a lot to do before that weekend!  There's SummerFest, the Wisconsin State Fair, friends with boats, the lake front of Lake Michigan to enjoy, and lots of horse shows and events.  I hope this blog will allow you to follow my travels and enjoy the fun.

1 comment: