Tyler came home on Friday, March 18. New Bolton said that he could wean off the steroid (dexamethasone) and continue the Marquis treatment for EPM at home. He is on 2 weeks turnout in the roundpen/stall rest. If Dr. Dill gives the ok, he can go back out in the field for another 2 weeks. Then it's back to New Bolton for a full examine to determine how he has recovered. At that point we will talk about Tyler's riding future.
I know that Tyler will not return to the level of riding he and I were doing together. Tyler has done everything I asked of him and more! I would rather he semi-retire and have many years in front of him being as healthy and happy as he can be.
Tyler looks fairly normal to me. He has a healthy appetite. Thankfully he can eat whatever he wants. He is allowed to hand walk and graze at will. So far Tyler has been tracking up while he walks. He seems strong walking. I saw Tyler lay down and take a nap yesterday. He got up on his own easily and has been turning fine.
Tyler is having difficulty eating grass or hay on the ground. Cindy lent me one of her cool hay cubes to slow Tyler's hay consumption and he does not have to put his mouth to the ground. I'm hoping that he will regain the ability to graze without being uncomfortable. It's frustrating watching him trying to enjoy something he loves so much.
Here's some fun scientific reading on Tyler's clinical exam when he arrived at NBC:
On presentation, Tyler was bright, alert, and responsive and in good body condition. Tyler's vital parameters were with in normal limits. He was ambulatory on arrival and exhibited a low grade spinal ataxia affecting all four limbs; his right hind limb was most severely affected. Initially, he also had generalized muscle fasciculations and displayed an exaggerated response to stimuli. His mentation and cranial nerve exam were within normal limits, except for slightly weak eyelid tone bilaterally. Initial serum chemistry and hematology were within normal limits.
Here is the prognosis (which is the best part of the paperwork): Prognosis is favorable in light of Tyler's response to therapy.
The official diagnosis is still outstanding pending the EPM results due by Friday.
Monday brings a phone call to the Boehringer Ingelheim. Now that I have a horse at home and paper work, I feel better prepared to call them.
Fred gets back to work now. The abscess broke open on Wednesday. He has big horseshoes to fill. I rode him for about 20 minutes yesterday and should be leaving for the barn now to ride. Oops!