"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and once it has done so, he/she will have to accept that his life will be radically changed." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, March 27, 2011

When Fred met Sally.

Let's get some happy new updates. 

Tyler does not have EPM!  Since everything else has been ruled out, it was most likely the vaccine that caused Tyler's episode.  

The old man, who only earned that name after Fred arrived, had a vet check up on Thursday.  As I thought, he proved to be very sore through his back.  His neuro test was great!  Tyler is tracking up nicely and moves fine at all three gaits.  The vet suggested we do carrot stretches each day.  Tyler seems game for the stretches.

On Friday Pam called me that Tyler was acting like a youngster in the indoor.  He was kicking up his heels and running around.  I told Pam to let him stretch out.  I'm so happy he feels good enough to play.

Yesterday I cleaned Tyler's stall with him in it before Sally arrived for lessons.  Calvin was in the round pen and I didn't want Tyler loose in the outdoor ring.  Tyler annoyed me so much while cleaning his stall that I decided to let him in the pasture about a week early.  Pasture 5 was up top and the gates were closed so Tyler went outside yesterday.  It was HILARIOUS!  I've never seen him so rambunctious.  Tyler hasn't been stall bound that much for a long time.  Thankfully he played for about 10 minutes and then settled down for grass.  TRose tried to get everyone to play with him and only Fred took the bait for about two minutes.  I'm a bit afraid to see how much mud I will have to scrub off of him today.  We might try the great outdoors yet again today.

Then there's the other one.  We're having fun!  Thursday was a good flat ride in the morning.  I need Sarah to help me figure out the canter aids.  That's slated for next Friday. 

Friday we rode with Anne and Romie.  We did trot poles and a small cross rail.  Then Cindy made the cross rail a little vertical.  Lauren was there and some how that rail went up.  It was uneven, so we hiked up the lower side and had a nice 2'6 vertical.  The first time Fred caught it with his back hoof as it surprised him a little.  The second time was perfect.  He's a very nice jumper!  I feel remarkably comfortable with him.

Yesterday, Fred met Sally.  I think she likes him! We rode with Anne/Romie and Paige/Bootz.  By the end of the lesson we did our first mini course of 3 jumps and were cantering jumps!  I was so nervous but didn't let it bother how I rode.  Sally noticed that Fred probably doesn't like a single jointed bit.  We'll be sorting that out for a few days.  Fred is such a light jumper.  Sally was happy he does trot poles so well.  We will keep that up to help strengthen him.  

 Fred and his head bumper for trailer excursions.

Assuming work keeps going the way it is, I have some fun scheduled.  Tuesday will be my first XC schooling with Fred.  Cindy and Patrick will be going to Laurel Hill with Sally and we'll tag along.  Not sure how it will go, but why not find out.  Sarah will be here Friday and Sunday is the jump painting party for Cindy's birthday.

There may be exciting news about The Fork horse trial in the next few days.  Keep your fingers crossed about that one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment